Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Little Easter Humor

So I’m sitting in church this Easter morn listening as the robed gentleman reads John’s account of the resurrection. Having heard this particular story countless times, I always try to listen for the little things I may have missed. There’s always hidden humor in these bible stories.

The first thing I noticed in John’s Easter narrative is that Jesus apparently played favorites. Either that or John is angling for supremacy among the twelve disciples through how he tells the story. John writes that when Mary returned with the report of an empty tomb, “she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one the Jesus loved.” Does he mean that Jesus didn’t love Peter nor any of the other disciples? Does John intend to suggest that Jesus loved him - John - the most? I thought Jesus loved everybody the same?

Then, in the very next verse, as if John isn’t satisfied simply to be Jesus’ favorite, he writes the account of what happens next to emphasize that he – John – is also the fastest disciple. “So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first.” I love this! I mean, what serious, bible-believing Christian hasn’t wondered which of the twelve was the best athlete? Who had the most stamina, the best 40-yard dash time, the highest vertical leap? These are the questions that have puzzled and plagued Bible readers for generations.

But the best tidbit I picked up this Easter is that Jesus was both anal-retentive and obsessive-compulsive. It appears then when Jesus got up, he not only laid the linens that had shrouded his body aside, but he also took the time to neatly wrap and fold the cloth that had been around his head and to carefully lay it in a separate place. Thank you, Jesus, for cleaning up what would have been such a mess otherwise.

I know, I know…there are so many more important and serious things to reflect on at Easter. But I couldn’t resist.

On a somewhat more serious note, we at Living Vision will be exploring and experimenting with the ancient discipline known as "the examen" on the remaining Tuesday evenings of April. Anyone interested in joining us is welcome. We'll meet at Yoga Roots at 444 E. Mitchell St. in Petoskey from 7:30-8:30 pm. Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Love the humor Toby. I know that that the "other disciple could outrun me but I'll bet that he couldn't outrun you! Love your blogs.

    ReplyDelete