Friday, February 10, 2012

Beyond Religion Book Group - Chapter 6

On the second page of this chapter, DL defines discernment at “an ethical awareness of what will benefit both oneself and others.” But he is quick to add that such an awareness “does not arise magically, but comes from the use of reason.” He argues that some of what inspires and nurtures this ethical awareness is the prevailing culture in which one lives and education.  Is our American culture and educational system well suited for such a task? Why/why not?

DL highlights interdependence as a key principle in an ethically aware world.  He cites examples of interdependence in the global economy, the natural world, and in he quantum sciences. Again, thinking of our American culture, one of the dominant, driving values in American culture is independence and self-sufficiency. How can we Americans learn to let go of our false sense of independence and self-sufficiency and replace it with a healthy sense of global interdependence – what DL calls “the way things actually are”? Or can we?

8 comments:

  1. You mention the use of reason, which I like how DL defines as discernment: choices that are realistic and that our good intentions do not go to waste (pg. 73). This goes back to what struck me in Ch. 4 in comments about kindness, how those good intentions may not trickle over to actually benefit the intended recipient. Discernment helps us shepherd good intentions in a realistic way, to get realistic outcomes, I think he means.

    I like his definition of wisdom also: a combination of right motivation for the welfare of humanity, discernment, and natural sense of responsibility that guides us to the right path of the ones open to us. This would be hard to teach (he addresses education more in the next chapter), what a responsibility. More than we expect of our teachers now, it seems, not sure how teachers are themselves trained to provide this guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a thread for this chapter with you in mind, Julie. You are a teacher. Much of what DL talks about is how we must teach and develop ethical qualities like compassion and discernment in our children. Any thoughts about how we do that? I have a four year old and I'm questioning how to best do this every day...thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toby, if all that is the way we do it..what about DL's premise that it needs to be outside of religion..can't find my way without Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  4. They defineately don't give you training in that area but speaking for myself and some of the finest teachers I know..it is by example..how you handle disputes, teasing name calling tears etc..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly don't think DL would mind one bit that you or I turn to Jesus for direction in this. But that is different than saying everyone must turn to this leader. We don't need to hide or run from our roots in Jesus. But in his spirit, I think we have to be big minded, big hearted, and humble enough to recognize that God can and does work in ways that are outside our "system" or any religious system for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day in the classroom, I hear my children acting out what they hear..everything from "Get me a beer Honey....to words of endearment anger etc..they hear and see us..I am sure you are showing your daughter a wonderful example Toby and also in case I haven't saud it..thanks for doing this book study

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Obviously, and quite literally, tonight, without you there would be NO book group! But, alas, speaking of my little girl, she is with me tonight - my one Sunday night a month, so I must sign off for tonight to be with her for tuck in and reading time. We sure have LOVED the book and jar you got us. She already has a jar we are putting change in daily. GREAT idea and totally fits with what we are talking about here, right? So on that note, hope you can join us next week. We should have a few more. Spread the word! Good night!

    ReplyDelete